To kick things off here at JustineCelina, I thought I would share a recipe for one of my most popular Instagram photos. I came up this this recipe during an intense flowering hibiscus tea drinking phase earlier this winter. Hibiscus tea always reminds me of the time I’ve spent in Huatulco Mexico, where hibiscus flowers grow wild. I’m transported back to that place every time I take a sip! In Mexico, the dried hibiscus flowers used to make this tea are known as “Jamaica” (pronounced hah-mike-ah). This smoothie is inspired by an Agua de Jamaica drink I enjoyed during my last trip.
I learned a bit about the health benefits of hibiscus tea from our server the first time I ordered Agua de Jamaica in Huatulco. He said it was good for the body and helped to aid in digestion. It turns out hibiscus tea is also good for your heart, blood pressure, circulation and it’s a powerful cold-fighter. This Super C Hibiscus Berry Smoothie is fresh, tart and velvety. It’s also bursting with tons of vitamin C, antioxidants and refreshing citrus flavours.
SUPER C HIBISCUS BERRY SMOOTHIE
Serves 1, 16 oz
• 1/2 cup frozen cranberries
• 1 orange
• 1 cup frozen mixed berries
• Juice from 1/4 a lemon
• 2 medjool dates
• 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
• 1/2 cup cold, strong hibiscus tea
• Dash of cinnamon
Prepare your tea beforehand (for strong tea, steep overnight) and allow to cool completely before adding to your smoothie. Combine all ingredients in your Vitamix (or similar) and blend until smooth. Garnish with cinnamon, frozen cranberries or orange segments and serve.
- • 1/2 cup frozen cranberries
- • 1 orange
- • 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- • Juice from 1/4 a lemon
- • 2 medjool dates
- • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- • 1/2 cup cold, strong hibiscus tea
- • Dash of cinnamon
- Prepare your tea beforehand (for strong tea, steep overnight).
- Allow to cool completely before adding to your smoothie.
- Combine all ingredients in your Vitamix (or similar) and blend until smooth.
- Garnish with cinnamon, frozen cranberries or orange segments and serve.
Thank you for stopping by and reading my first post! I’m glad to have you here. If you try my Super C Hibiscus Berry Smoothie, let me know how you like it in the comments. I’d love to hear from you!
Disclaimer: This post is not sponsored, and contains my genuine thoughts and recommendations. JustineCelina uses affiliate and referral links, which allow me to receive a small commission when you make a purchase through one of my links. Your purchases help to support JustineCelina.com!
Thank you to The Calgary Herald for featuring this recipe.