Wow, it’s been a minute since I published a bread recipe here at JustineCelina! Today I’m so happy to finally share one of the very first loaves I ever developed — seriously you guys, this recipe is ancient. It’s funny — there are so many old recipes like this that I’ve never had the chance to share with you! Currently I have about ten autumn recipes in my archives that have accumulated over the years — since I like to share things seasonally and don’t blog about food exclusively, you can see how they’d really add up. Well, this is one of them! My friends and family are very familiar with my Spiced Sweet Potato Bread recipe, however, this autumn I revamped it to be free of dairy, gluten (both of which I now have sensitivities to), refined sugar and oil. Sounds like a drag right?! Wrong!
My Gluten Free Spiced Sweet Potato Bread tastes like a beautifully spiced, indulgent, autumnal cake — I promise absolutely no one will know it’s a ‘free from’ recipe! A mega dose of nutritious, mashed sweet potatoes and decadent coconut milk mix and mingle with fall spices of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger and allspice to create a dense, cake-like loaf enjoyed by plant baser eaters, people with food allergies and sensitivities and anyone that loves delicious seasonal baking! If you’re looking for healthier or allergy free alternative to seasonal desserts for Thanksgiving or holiday festivities, this Gluten Free Spiced Sweet Potato Bread is my top recommendation. I brought it to a family Thanksgiving dinner and it was a hit — even the picky eaters and little ones loved it! It also makes a fantastic breakfast, snack or clean dessert anytime you’re craving something sweet, spicy and nourishing. If you’re in the mood to bake this weekend (bonus: it makes your home smell amazing!), fix yourself a delicious chai latte, haul out your mixing bowls and throw on your coziest sweater — I have just the recipe!
GLUTEN FREE SPICED SWEET POTATO BREAD
I’m sitting here enjoying a slice of my Gluten Free Spiced Sweet Potato Bread straight out of the oven with some vegan butter right now as I write this post — one of my favourite ways to eat it! This is one of those loaves that’s absolutely delicious fresh out of the oven with a crisp outer edge. If you store it in an airtight container (I typically wrap it in aluminum foil, then seal it in a Ziplock bag), the crust softens and become more moist and cake like. It’s fantastic both ways! You could also try this recipe in muffin form, but you’ll have to keep an eye on the baking time (I’d suggest 40 – 50 minutes). If you make muffins, let me know how it works out for you and I’ll update the recipe!
The great news about this recipe (and all my baked recipes, in fact!) is if you don’t need it to be gluten free, you can substitute the gluten free all purpose flour blend for regular all purpose flour and it bakes for exactly the same amount of time. Both loaves are equally delicious — so feel free to use whatever flour suits your dietary needs! However, if you’re going with the gluten free version, it’s important to use a pre made gluten free flour blend that contains xantham gum. You can find them at any major grocery store, but my favourite is the CO-OP Gold Pure All-Purpose Gluten Free Baking Mix (available in Canadian CO-OP stores).
Even if you’re not sweet potato crazy like I am, I think you would still enjoy this loaf. The sweet potato really isn’t detectable — it simply provides natural sweetness, moisture and nutrition (it’s loaded with vitamins A, B, C, beta-carotene and fibre). If you’ve never baked with sweet potato and want to give it a go, my Gluten Free Spiced Sweet Potato Bread is a great place to start. Remember all those dessert inspired smoothies and fresh juice recipes I’ve incorporated sweet potato in over the years to make them more creamy and indulgent? This is the actually the recipe that actually inspired all those others! It truly is one of my all time favourite things to bake — and I hope you love it just as much as I do! The little ones also love this recipe and it’s a great way to sneak a couple of extra servings of vegetables in.
Yield: 1 loaf
• 1 1/2 cups mashed sweet potato
• 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk (it’s very important that you use full fat coconut milk since we’re not using any oil! I’ve linked my favourite one here — it’s 85% coconut extract with just a small amount of water — those are the only 2 ingredients. I also purchase it at Superstore!)
• 2 large free range eggs
• 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
• 1 1/2 cups all purpose gluten free baking mix (make sure it includes xantham gum!)
• 1 1/2 cups coconut sugar
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1 tbsp cinnamon
• 1 tsp ginger
• 1 tsp nutmeg
• 1/2 tsp allspice
• 1/2 tsp cloves
• 1/8 tsp Himalayan pink salt
1. Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Grease 1 standard loaf pan with melted coconut oil and set aside.
2. Then, cook your sweet potato. For a super quick method, dice sweet potato into 1″ pieces and add it to a microwave safe bowl. Fill the bowl with water, covering the potatoes. Cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high heat for 10 minutes. Strain the potatoes and allow to cool for 5 minutes before mashing (you can pop them into the fridge if you like to cool them faster — you don’t want to scramble the eggs!).
3. Add eggs, coconut milk and vanilla extract to the mashed sweet potatoes. Whisk until combined.
4. In a separate large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
5. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, stirring to combine thoroughly.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 65 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and a toothpick comes out of the centre of the loaf mostly clean.
7. Allow the bread to cool for 15 minutes in the pan before removing from that pan and transferring to a wire rack to cool.
8. Once partially cooled, slice and serve immediately.
Note: My Gluten Free Spiced Sweet Potato Bread freezes very well! I like to wrap it in aluminum foil, then seal it in a Ziplock bag before popping it into the freezer.
SHOP THE POST
MORE COZY, PLANT BASED BAKING
What are your favourite homemade treats when it’s cold outside? If you have a favourite recipe, please share it with us below! This Gluten Free Spiced Sweet Potato Bread takes the cake (ha!), but I also love to roll up my no-bake Plant Based Pumpkin Pie Energy Bites. They’re so festive and seasonal — and a breeze to whip up. I used to think that I really wasn’t much of a baker, but I’m way more confident in my baking skills now that I have a few years of recipe development under my belt. It’s definitely something I want to experiment with more often!
Did you try my Gluten Free Spiced Sweet Potato Bread? If you did, please let me know! Leave me a comment, or tag me on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook. You can use the hashtag #justinecelinarecipes in your recreations so I can find them — I love scrolling through the feed and seeing what you guys make! I also have a Pinterest board for my recipes if you’re looking for more plant based culinary inspiration. Enjoy this beautiful November weekend, everyone! What are you up to?
Disclaimer: Thank you to Rebecca Dawn Design for the beautiful flowers and foliage I used to style this post and to my friend Kate for the vintage brass flatware. This post is not sponsored and contains my genuine thoughts, ideas and recommendations. JustineCelina uses affiliate and referral links, which allow me to receive a small commission when you make a purchase through one of my links. Thank you for supporting the brands and businesses that support JustineCelina.com!