Remember the summer I acquired a taste for gin? It’s since become my favourite spirit. In fact, around this time last year I even ventured to Vancouver Island to track down an infamous local gin unavailable in Alberta (I also made a cocktail with that one!). Although the gin I brought home from my coastal travels is long gone, late last year I stumbled on Eau Claire Distillery via Instagram (their bottles are gorgeous and totally drew me in!). Imagine my surprise to find out we have an incredible, award winning distillery less than an hour from home! Over the holidays I took a trip to the visit their distillery in Turner Valley with my Mom (who loves gin) and my brother (who was home from New York and loves cocktails) for a tour and tasting — and we were all completely blown away by the quality of Eau Claire’s hand crafted offerings and their farm to glass approach. Now that I know they exist (and they’re local!) I actually can’t fathom using anything else in my cocktails! Over the last couple of months, we’ve padded our bar with several of Eau Claire’s artisinal spirits — including their most recent offering, Cherry Gin.
In honour of love day, I’m so excited to share my Rose Infused Cherry Gin Fizz! This feminine, fruity and lightly floral cocktail combines Eau Claire’s stunning Cherry Gin with my favourite Prosecco, a splash of fresh lemon juice and a Rose & Pink Peppercorn Infused Honey Simple Syrup for a contemporary spin on the classic French 75. My Rose Infused Cherry Gin Fizz is a beautiful addition to your Valentine’s Day menu, but can be enjoyed anytime you want to indulge in a gourmet craft cocktail at home! As always, it’s is free of dairy, gluten and refined sugar — and bursting with fruity flavours, floral undertones, unique botanicals and a refreshing effervescence. The best part? Eau Claire is helping me share the love this Valentine’s Day by giving away a Cherry Gin Cocktail Caddy valued at $99 to one of my Canadian friends — check out the bottom of the post for details on how to enter!
ROSE INFUSED CHERRY GIN FIZZ
You guys, I think this is my favourite cocktail I’ve ever published! Although my Rose Infused Cherry Gin Fizz has some stiff competition, it’s such a serendipitous creation and I had a lot of fun with the process. Basically, I’d been stalking Eau Claire’s socials since mid January to find out when their Cherry Gin was going to be released — knowing that I wanted to work with it for a Valentine’s Day cocktail this year. I reached out to see if they’d like to partner on the post — and although this post isn’t sponsored by Eau Claire, they did provide the Cherry Gin for my recipe testing, as well as very generous giveaway prize for you! Chelsea, my contact at Eau Claire, hand delivered my bottle of Cherry Gin and a Cocktail Caddy literally the day after it was bottled, about two weeks ago (they’re awesome like that!). I’ve been working with it ever since and I’m so thrilled to bring you this recipe today!
But first things first, let’s chat about the inspiration behind my Rose Infused Cherry Gin Fizz, Eau Claire’s stunning cherry gin! When we visited the distillery over the holidays, their Cherry Gin wasn’t available and wasn’t part of our tasting — but I had done some research online prior to our visit, so I was hoping they’d re-release it again this year. As I mentioned, Eau Claire has only been on my radar since late 2017 — and their Cherry Gin was released around this time last year as a limited edition, seasonal offering. So in January when they announced the Cherry Gin was going to be a permanent offering I was thrilled and knew I had to get my hands on it for Valentine’s Day. We had our first taste the day we got out hands on it — on the rocks. As someone who’s not a fan of overly sweet things, I was surprised (and thrilled!) that it actually was a lot drier and more tart than I expected. Eau Claire’s Cherry Gin is a London-dry style gin made from local Alberta grain, infused with sour cherries and over 12 unique botanicals. They describe is as subtly tart with a hint of natural sweetness and I find that description completely accurate. It’s equally delicious over ice as it is in a cocktail!
For this cocktail, I knew I wanted to try a updated spin on a French 75. Eau Claire’s spirits are truly world class and they have an amazing selection of craft cocktails at their tasting room (if you’re a local you should absolutely stop for a tour and tasting!). They really know what they’re doing — and I wanted to make sure I did their Cherry Gin justice. If you’re a long time reader you’ll know I favour both simplicity and complexity in my cocktails and sangrias, but I knew I wanted the Cherry Gin to shine in my Rose Infused Cherry Gin Fizz. So, I opted for a fairly simple recipe to bring out the beautiful cherry flavours of this gorgeous gin, highlighting seasonal citrus and experimenting with a fresh way to infuse some complimentary rose flavours (cherries and roses come from the same family, Rosaceae) into this romantic cocktail!
Those of you who frequent my FOOD section will know that we don’t use refined sugar in our kitchen. So, I decided to use honey to make the simple syrup for my Rose Infused Cherry Gin Fizz. I was recipe testing at my childhood home in rural Alberta when I came up with the idea and my Mom keeps a huge vat of honey in her cellar — the beekeepers who tend the hives on our property drop off from time to time. It’s the most delicious honey I’ve ever tasted — plus it’s completely natural, organic and about as local as it gets. However, feel free to use any honey you have on hand (except manuka). And if you do use refined sugar in your kitchen, you can absolutely substitute honey for white sugar. We actually attended Eau Claire’s Date Night & The Distillery this past Saturday (there’s still a Highlight up on my Insta Stories if you’d like a recap!), where we mixed up all kinds of Cherry Gin cocktails — and their Tasting Room Manager, Chelsey, gave our group a lecture about not buying simple syrup when it’s so easy to make it home.
Simple syrup is traditionally one part water and one part sugar, boiled and cooled. My Rose & Pink Peppercorn Infused Honey Simple Syrup is definitely a more natural, gourmet version, but it’s also very simple to make. If you can find culinary rose petals and pink peppercorns (Calgarians, The Silk Road Spice Merchant is my favourite spot to source ingredients like this — however, they also ship Canada wide!), you can make it too. And if not, feel free to go ahead with either a honey and water version, or a classic water and sugar version — I’ve included directions on exactly how to make it below!
Yield: 1 cocktail
FOR THE ROSE INFUSED CHERRY GIN FIZZ
• 1 oz Eau Claire Distillery Cherry Gin
• 2 oz Lamarca Prosecco
• 1/2 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 1/2 oz Rose & Pink Peppercorn Infused Honey Simple Syrup (recipe to follow)
• Splash of fruity Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• Pink peppercorns
• Dried culinary rose petals
FOR THE ROSE & PINK PEPPERCORN INFUSED HONEY SIMPLE SYRUP
• 1 cup water
• 1 cup honey
• 1 tbsp dried culinary rose petals
• 1 tbsp pink peppercorns
1. Chill your coupe glass.
2. Start by making your Rose & Pink Peppercorn Infused Honey Simple Syrup. In a saucepan over medium / high heat, combine 1 cup water with 1 cup honey. Add dried rose retals and pink peppercorns. Stir boiling mixture constantly for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
3. Pour Rose & Pink Peppercorn Infused Honey Simple Syrup over a fine mesh strainer with a large bowl underneath. Discard petals and peppercorns. Add simple syrup to an airtight container — it will keep refrigerated for up to 3 weeks.
4. Begin preparing your Rose Infused Cherry Gin Fizz by adding 1 oz of Eau Claire Cherry Gin to your chilled coupe glass.
5. Add 2 oz of Prosecco to the glass.
6. Add 1/2 oz of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
7. Add 1/2 oz of Rose & Pink Peppercorn Infused Honey Simple Syrup.
8. Add a drop of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to your cocktail. I know it sounds crazy — but the richness of the oil helps to cut some of the acidity in the cocktail and also provides a delightful, velvety texture!
9. Stir to combine.
10. Garnish with culinary rose petals and / or pink peppercorns and enjoy immediately!
- • 1 oz Eau Claire Distillery Cherry Gin
- • 2 oz Lamarca Prosecco
- • 1/2 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
- • 1/2 oz Rose & Pink Peppercorn Infused Honey Simple Syrup (recipe to follow)
- • Splash of fruity Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- • Pink peppercorns
- • Dried culinary rose petals
- • 1 cup water
- • 1 cup honey
- • 1 tbsp dried culinary rose petals
- • 1 tbsp pink peppercorns
- Chill your coupe glass.
- Start by making your Rose & Pink Peppercorn Infused Honey Simple Syrup. In a saucepan over medium / high heat, combine 1 cup water with 1 cup honey. Add dried rose retals and pink peppercorns. Stir boiling mixture constantly for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Pour Rose & Pink Peppercorn Infused Honey Simple Syrup over a fine mesh strainer with a large bowl underneath. Discard petals and peppercorns. Add simple syrup to an airtight container -- it will keep refrigerated for up to 3 weeks.
- Begin preparing your Rose Infused Cherry Gin Fizz by adding 1 oz of Eau Claire Cherry Gin to your chilled coupe glass.
- Add 2 oz of Prosecco to the glass.
- Add 1/2 oz of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Add 1/2 oz of Rose & Pink Peppercorn Infused Honey Simple Syrup.
- Add a drop of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to your cocktail. I know it sounds crazy -- but the richness of the oil helps to cut some of the acidity in the cocktail and also provides a delightful, velvety texture!
- Stir to combine.
- Garnish with culinary rose petals and / or pink peppercorns and enjoy immediately!
EAU CLAIRE CHERRY GIN COCKTAIL CADDY GIVEAWAY! (NOW CLOSED)
It’s Cherry Gin giveaway time! Typically I don’t usually host giveaways, but I’m so passionate about what Eau Claire is doing that I want everyone to have the chance to try their spirits and learn how to make craft cocktails at home! I wouldn’t be able to do any of this without you guys — so consider this a small gesture to thank you for your support!
So, what’s up for grabs? This Cocktail Caddy features Eau Claire’s recently released Cherry Gin — plus all the fixings and instructions to make the perfect festive drink. You’ll be shaking, stirring, muddling and sipping your way through two fun, easy and delicious cocktail recipes by the end of the night!
Eau Claire Distillery’s Cherry Gin Cocktail Caddy includes:
• 750ml Bottle of Eau Claire Distillery’s Cherry Gin
• 4 Bottles of Eau Claire Soda Company’s Original Tonic Water
• 4 Locally made Cōchu Chocolatier Cherry Gin Chocolate Cordial Shooters
• 2 Old Fashioned Glasses
• Custom Cocktail Spoon
• Recipe Card Featuring Two Craft Cocktails
To enter to win a Cherry Gin Cocktail Caddy, valued at $99:
Bonus entry for Instagram users:
• Head over to this post and follow the instructions!
Contest open to Canadian residents until February 20th, 2018 at 11:59pm MST. Must be a Canadian resident of legal drinking age to enter. Good luck!
CARE FOR ANOTHER ROUND? MORE CRAFT COCKTAILS
Thanks for stopping by for my latest cocktail recipe, friends! I’m so happy I could introduce you to Eau Claire Distillery and show off this incredible, local gin. I can’t wait for you to try it for yourself! Good luck to everyone entering the giveaway — I’m sending you all a virtual, sparkling cheers from Alberta! And if you don’t win or would like to try Eau Claire’s other products, they’re available in select stores across Alberta — including Kensington Wine Market, Liquor Depot, Co-op and Highlander liquor stores.
If you try my Rose Infused Cherry Gin Fizz, let me know how it goes or snap a pic and tag me! Leave me a comment, or tag me on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook. I’d love you to hashtag #justinecelinarecipes in your recreations so I can find them — I love browsing my feed and stumbling on your beautiful recreations! I also have a Pinterest board for my recipes if you’re looking for more plant based culinary inspiration. Cheers, gin lovers!
Thank you to Style Me Pretty Living for featuring this recipe.
Disclaimer: Thank you to my friends at Eau Claire Distillery for providing the cherry gin I used in this recipe and for facilitating this giveaway. This post is not sponsored, and contains my genuine thoughts, ideas and recommendations. JustineCelina uses affiliate and referral links, which allow me to receive a small commission when you make a purchase through one of my links. Thank you for supporting the brands and businesses that support JustineCelina!